About This Journal
Horticultural Science and Technology (abbr. Hortic. Sci. Technol., herein ‘HST’; ISSN, 1226-8763), one of the two official journals of the Korean Society for Horticultural Science (KSHS), was launched in 1998 to provides scientific and professional publication on technology and sciences of horticultural area. As an international journal, HST is published in English and Korean, bimonthly on the last day of even number months, and indexed in ‘SCIE’, ‘SCOPUS’ and ‘CABI’. The HST is devoted for the publication of technical and academic papers and review articles on such arears as cultivation physiology, protected horticulture, postharvest technology, genetics and breeding, tissue culture and biotechnology, and other related to vegetables, fruit, ornamental, and herbal plants.
2018 Impact Factor 0.589
- Deep Simple Epicotyl Morphophysiological Dormancy in Seeds of Gymnospermium microrrhynchum (S.Moore) Takht., a Rare Species in Korea
- Yong Ha Rhie, Seung Youn Lee, and Ki Sun Kim
- Gymnospermium microrrhynchum is an herbaceous perennial plant in the Berberidaceae family and is a vulnerable species in Korea. We examined the embryo ... + READ MORE
- Gymnospermium microrrhynchum is an herbaceous perennial plant in the Berberidaceae family and is a vulnerable species in Korea. We examined the embryo growth and germination of G. microrrhynchum in terms of temperatures under both outdoor and laboratory conditions. G. microrrhynchum seed consisted of an underdeveloped embryo. The embryo grew at moderate temperatures in autumn after high summer temperatures, and the radicle emergence occurred in November. However, there was a delay in shoot emergence after radicle emergence and the shoot appeared after the end of winter. Radicle-emerged seeds required winter-season temperatures for seedling emergence. In the following year, shoot emergence began in late March and completed in April. In the laboratory experiments, seeds at 15/6°C (light 12 h/dark 12 h) had 87% germination within 20 weeks, while seeds did not germinate at 25/15°C, 20/10°C, or 5°C. Following the radicle emergence, cold stratification (5°C) broke epicotyl dormancy and produce the shoot. Gibberellic acid (GA3) had no effect on the radicle emergence. Based on these results, seeds of G. microrrhynchum have deep simple epicotyl morphophysiological dormancy. This research is the first study to determine the morphophysiological dormancy type of the Gymnospermium genus. - COLLAPSE
- Effects of Plant Growth Regulators and Floral Cluster Thinning on Fruit Quality of ‘Shine Muscat’ Grape
- Hyun Wook Shin, Gi Hoon Kim, and Cheol Choi
- ‘Shine Muscat’, recently introduced into Korea, is a seedless grape (Vitis vinifera) with an edible skin and high sugar content. Despite the ... + READ MORE
- ‘Shine Muscat’, recently introduced into Korea, is a seedless grape (Vitis vinifera) with an edible skin and high sugar content. Despite the rapid increase in its cultivation area, there is no research on how to apply plant growth regulators (PGR) for seedlessness and floral cluster thinning of ‘Shine Muscat,’ which is the basis of this study. Five different PGR treatment methods were applied. Streptomycin (SM) at 200 mg·L-1 was applied 7 days before blooming in most of the treatment groups, and an untreated control was included. Primary treatments were applied 1-3 days after full bloom (DAFB) and involved the application of 12.5 or 25.0 mg·L-1 gibberellic acid (GA3) and 2.5 or 5.0 mg·L-1 thidiazuron (TDZ) or 5 mg·L-1 forchlorfenuron (CPPU), and one treatment involved a second application of 200 mg·L-1 SM. Secondary treatments were applied 12-15 DAFB and involved the application of 12.5 or 25.0 mg·L-1 GA3 or no PGR treatment. Three different flower cluster treatments were applied. Flower clusters were thinned by hand to 3, 4, and 5 cm. Fruit quality was investigated through the measurement of the seedlessness rate, cluster weight, berry weight, berry length, berry diameter, soluble solids contents, acidity, and aroma. The results showed that the use of SM is advantageous for seedlessness when applied 7 days before blooming, and fruit quality differed between the CPPU and TDZ treatments. Floral cluster thinning to 3 and 4 cm resulted in higher quality grapes compared with thinning to 5 cm. We hope these findings will contribute to establishing standards for producing seedless ‘Shine Muscat’ grapes with high fruit quality. - COLLAPSE
- Morphological Characteristics and Germination and Fertilization Abilities of Five Pollen Varieties for ‘Niitaka’ Pear (Pyrus pyrifolia Nakai) Artificial Pollination
- Ki-Woong Nam, Byung-Woo Moon, and Deok-Hoon Yoon
- We quantified pollen size and form in a range of pear (Pyrus pyrifolia Nakai) varieties. Our data show that ‘Xuehuali’, ‘Yali’, ‘Chuwhangbae ... + READ MORE
- We quantified pollen size and form in a range of pear (Pyrus pyrifolia Nakai) varieties. Our data show that ‘Xuehuali’, ‘Yali’, ‘Chuwhangbae’, and ‘Imamuraaki’ have Polar/Equatorial (P/E) ratios between 1.87 and 1.98, belonging to the prolate type and ‘Wonwhang’ has a P/E ratio of 2.20, belonging to the perprolate type. The pollen surface patterns were all striate, clearly showing the varieties’ characteristics. With respect to the pollen germination rate, the pollen varieties showed lower rates at around 20 to 30% 2 hours after placement, whereas all showed at least an 80% germination rate 12 hours after placement. ‘Imamuraaki’ had the highest rate at 92% and also had the richest form of pollen. When the pollen was treated in a moist chamber for 3 hours, the pollen tube elongation of ‘Xuehuali’ was 0.73 ± 0.06 mm, ‘Yali’ was 0.81 ± 0.04 mm, ‘Chuwhangbae’ was 0.63 ± 0.08 mm, and ‘Imamuraaki’ was 0.94 ± 0.15 mm, showing good germination potential. ‘Wonwhang’ displayed pollen tube elongation of 1.32 ± 0.44 mm after being treated in a moist chamber for 9 hours. When used for fertilization at a pear orchard, all the varieties showed at least 90% or higher fruit-load rate and fruit weight of about 600 g. Each type of pollen from the five varieties used to artificially pollinate the ‘Niitaka’ pears had a unique surface pattern that could be used to quantify the pollen purity. Moreover, there seems to be no difference, in terms of the germination rate, pollen tube elongation, fruit-load rate, and fruit weight at harvest, between these varieties and domestic pear pollen. - COLLAPSE
Photosynthesis, Growth, and Clove Formation of Southern-type Garlic in Response to Different Day/Night Temperature Regimes
주야간 온도별 난지형 마늘의 광합성, 생육 및 인편 형성
Seo Young Oh, Kyung Hwan Moon, Eun Young Song, and Seok Chan Koh
오서영, 문경환, 송은영, 고석찬
- Photosynthesis, growth, and clove formation were investigated in southern-type garlic (Allium sativum L.) grown under different day/night temperature regimes (11/7 ...
본 연구에서는 난지형 마늘(Allium sativum L.)의 적합한 재배온도 범위를 알아보기 위하여 주야간 온도(11/7, 17/12, 23/18°C ...+ READ MORE
- Photosynthesis, growth, and clove formation were investigated in southern-type garlic (Allium sativum L.) grown under different day/night temperature regimes (11/7, 17/12, and 23/18°C) using soil-plant-atmosphere-research (SPAR) chambers to determine the optimum cultivation temperature and assess the impact of low- and high-temperature stress on garlic plants. Garlic grown at 17/12°C had the greatest height, bulb diameter and length, bulb fresh weight, and numbers of normal cloves per bulb at harvest time. Furthermore, the net photosynthetic rate (Amax) was high and the dark respiration rate (Rd) was low during the growth stage. Conversely, garlic grown at 23/18°C had enhanced secondary growth when harvested, including continuous growth of cloves of primary plants and/or the growth of bulbil buds into secondary plants. Garlic harvested from plants grown under the 11/7°C regime had small bulbs and immature cloves because vegetative growth was incomplete. In addition, garlic grown at 23/18°C and 11/7°C had low Amax and high Rd during the growth stage. These findings indicate that the 17/12°C temperature regime is favorable to the growth of garlic plants and may be better for producing optimum commercial products with bulbs and cloves of regular shape and size. Garlic grown at 23/18°C should be harvested earlier to prevent damage caused by high temperature, whereas garlic grown at 11/7°C should be harvested later to increase the growth period.
본 연구에서는 난지형 마늘(Allium sativum L.)의 적합한 재배온도 범위를 알아보기 위하여 주야간 온도(11/7, 17/12, 23/18°C)를 달리한 soil-plant-atmosphere-research(SPAR) 체임버에서 마늘의 광합성, 생육, 인편 형성 등을 조사하고 저온 과 고온 스트레스의 영향을 알아보았다. 17/12°C에서 재배되었을 때 수확기의 초장, 인경 두께와 길이, 인경 중량, 정상적인 인 편수가 증가하였다. 그리고, 생육기의 최대광합성률(Amax)은 높고 암호흡률(Rd)은 낮았다. 반면에, 23/18°C에서는 인편의 지 속적인 생장, 인편 속에 새로운 작은 인편들이 분화 등 이차생장으로 인해 벌마늘이 형성되었다. 그리고, 11/7°C에서는 영양생 장이 완료되지 않아 인경 크기가 작고 전체적으로 미숙한 인편이 형성되었다. 더욱이 23/18°C와 11/7°C에서는 생육기의 최대광합성률은 낮고, 암호흡률은 높게 나타났다. 이러한 결과는 17/12°C 조건이 마늘 재배에 최적임을 나타내며, 크기와 모양이 균일한 인경과 인편을 가지는 상품성이 높은 마늘을 생산하기 위해서는 재배기간 동안 17/12°C에서 유지하는 것이 바람직함 을 나타낸다. 반면에, 23/18°C에서는 고온 장해가 발생하기 전에 수확시기를 다소 앞당기고, 11/7°C에서는 인경 비대가 충분 히 이루어질 수 있도록 재배기간을 연장하여 수확시기를 늦출 필요가 있음을 나타낸다.
- Photosynthesis, Growth, and Clove Formation of Southern-type Garlic in Response to Different Day/Night Temperature Regimes
- Selection of Newly Developed Artificial Medium for Lettuce Production in a Closed-type Plant Production System
- Hye Min Kim, Hye Ri Lee, Young Jin Kim, Hyeon Min Kim, Jae Hun Lee, Sang Hyen Park, Byoung Ryong Jeong, and Seung Jae Hwang
- This study evaluated different media for lettuce cultivation in a closed-type plant production system. Lettuce seeds were sown in 128-cell plug trays ... + READ MORE
- This study evaluated different media for lettuce cultivation in a closed-type plant production system. Lettuce seeds were sown in 128-cell plug trays filled with six different media, and then transplanted at 11 days after sowing in a closed-type plant production system. The used media were commercial media (urethane foam, rockwool, and Q plug), and newly developed media (PU 14-S1, TP-S1, and PU-7B). Higher values were observed for total porosity, container capacity, and air space in urethane foam and PU 14-S1. Bulk density was the greatest in the TP-S1, followed by the Q plug and rockwool. The pH and electrical conductivity (EC) of the medium ranged from 5.17 to 6.50 and 0.01 to 0.31 dS·m-1, respectively. Germination properties were strong in the rockwool, Q plug, and PU-7B media. The initial and final growth of lettuce measured at 11 and 32 days after sowing, respectively, were the best in the Q plug medium, followed by the rockwool and TP-S1 media. These media had higher EC values than the others. The applicability of newly developed medium PU-7B was confirmed for lettuce cultivation in a closed-type plant production system when the EC of PU-7B was regulated similarly to the EC of Q plug medium. - COLLAPSE
- Near-Infrared Hyperspectral Imaging for Detection of Bacterial Fruit Blotch in Watermelon Seedlings
- Ho Jun Lee, Dong Hwa Jang, Yong Hoon Lee, and Yong Hyeon Kim
- This study was conducted to detect bacterial fruit blotch (BFB) in watermelon seedlings using near-infrared hyperspectral imaging (HSI) and to compare discrimination ... + READ MORE
- This study was conducted to detect bacterial fruit blotch (BFB) in watermelon seedlings using near-infrared hyperspectral imaging (HSI) and to compare discrimination accuracies using a partial least squares-discriminant analysis (PLS-DA) model with two extraction methods, band ratio, and principal component analysis (PCA). Three concentrations (1 × 102, 104, and 106 cfu/mL) of Acidovorax avenae subsp. citrulli were inoculated on the first true leaves of watermelon seedlings. Hyperspectral images were captured for 100 samples at 1 - 5 days after inoculation. The mean spectra for watermelon leaves infected with BFB were higher than those for the healthy leaves in the near-infrared range. Mean spectra for samples increased with increasing days after inoculation. This result was distinctly observed at the higher concentration. Two wavelengths, 1,588 and 1,450 nm, were selected as significant bands for the extraction of diseased area based on statistical t-tests. BFB symptoms were observed even at 1 day after inoculation from hyperspectral images taken out by two extraction methods. A PLS-DA model with band ratio extraction revealed better classification accuracies to distinguish BFB in watermelon leaves. A PLS-DA plot showed distinct groupings of diseased and healthy leaves in the calibration and validation sets. Hyperspectral imaging of watermelon leaves infected with BFB were visualized by applying the PLS-DA model. Our results demonstrate that near-infrared HSI is a promising technique for the detection of BFB in watermelon leaves. - COLLAPSE
- Optimizing Plant Spacing and Harvest Time for Yield and Glucosinolate Accumulation in Watercress (Nasturtium officinale L.) Grown in a Hydroponic System
- Vu Phong Lam, Jaeyun Choi, Sungjin Kim, Jongseok Park, and Ricardo Hernandez
- The objective of the present study was to evaluate the effects of plant spacing (14-, 20-, and 31-cm) on the lateral branch ... + READ MORE
- The objective of the present study was to evaluate the effects of plant spacing (14-, 20-, and 31-cm) on the lateral branch length, shoot fresh and dry weights, yield, and glucosinolate content of watercress at 35 and 56 days after transplanting (DAT) in a hydroponic culture system. Two-week-old seedlings were transplanted into three deep flow technique systems in a greenhouse with three plant spacing treatments: 31-cm (36 plants per bed), 20-cm (72 plants per bed), and 14-cm (144 plants per bed). Each treatment had three beds and the size of each bed was 3.24 m2. The lateral branch length, shoot fresh and dry weights, and yield were measured, and glucosinolate concentration in leaves and stems of watercress was analyzed at 35 and 56 DAT. Both lateral branch length and yield per unit area were significantly reduced by increasing plant spacing, whereas the shoot fresh and dry weights were significantly increased. The total concentration of glucosinolate in the shoots was higher at 56 DAT than at 35 DAT. Furthermore, at 35 DAT, the glucosinolate concentration was the highest in the leaves and stems of plants grown under 14-cm and 31-cm spacing, respectively, than under other spacing treatments. However, at 56 DAT, the total glucosinolate concentration was higher in the leaves and stems of plants grown under 20- and 31-cm spacing and under 14- and 20-cm spacing, respectively. The highest total glucosinolate content per shoot in a unit area was observed under 14-cm spacing at 35 DAT (6.58 mmol/shoot DW/m2) and under 20-cm spacing at 56 DAT (51.99 mmol/shoot DW/m2). These results suggest that watercress yield could be optimized by growing plants under 14-cm spacing and harvesting at 35 DAT, whereas growing plants under 20-cm spacing and harvesting at 56 DAT would be an optimal method for increasing glucosinolate content without negatively affecting the growth of plants grown under a hydroponic culture system in a greenhouse. - COLLAPSE
Development of Male-Sterile Elite Lines using Marker-Assisted Backcrossing (MABC) in Tomato
Marker-Assisted Backcrossing (MABC)을 이용한 토마토 웅성불임 엘리트 계통 육성
Dong Hyun Kim, Yu Jin Jung, Jong Hee Kim, Hee Kyoung Kim, Ki Hong Nam, Hyo Ju Lee, Myong-Kwon Kim, Ill-Sup Nou, and Kwon Kyoo Kang
김동현, 정유진, 김종희, 김희경, 남기홍, 이효주, 김명권, 노일섭, 강권규
- Recurrent backcrossing is a traditional breeding method that is commonly employed to transfer alleles at one or more loci from a donor ...
Recurrent backcrossing은 donor친으로부터 엘리트 품종에 하나 이상의 좌에서 대립유전자들을 도입하려고 할 때 일반적으로 사용되는 전통적인 육종 방법이다. 웅성불임 엘리트 토마토 계통을 육성하기 ...+ READ MORE
- Recurrent backcrossing is a traditional breeding method that is commonly employed to transfer alleles at one or more loci from a donor to an elite variety. In order to develop male-sterile elite tomato lines, marker-assisted foreground and background selections were performed during backcross breeding. Compared to conventional backcrossing, marker-assisted backcrossing (MABC) is extremely useful for recovery of a recurrent parent’s genetic background. For foreground selection, the tomato mutant anthocyanin absent (aa) presents a green hypocotyl during the seedling stage. Lines carrying the Aa genotype were selected from BC1F1 and BC2F1 populations using indel markers derived from the unique aa mutation of T2-517. This trait has been utilized in marker-assisted selection of male sterile 10 (ms10) at the seedling stage because their corresponding loci are closely linked on chromosome 2. For background selection, a total of 48 single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) markers obtained from resequencing data between the MR10-3211 and T2-517 lines evenly distributed in the tomato genome were finally selected. BC1F1 and BC2F1 plants carrying the heterozygous (Aa) genotype were subjected to background selection using a set of 48 SNP markers. Multiple genotype analysis was done using a high-throughput genotyping system. As a result, one plant, 87.5% similar to the recurrent parent genome in the BC1F1 generation, and three plants with a 95.5% recovery rate of the recurrent parent genome in the BC2F1 generation, were selected. These selected plants were fixed in the BC2F2 and BC2F3 generations for the male sterile tomato elite line. We therefore demonstrate the utility of the MABC method for the recovery of recurrent parent genomes in tomato breeding strategies.
Recurrent backcrossing은 donor친으로부터 엘리트 품종에 하나 이상의 좌에서 대립유전자들을 도입하려고 할 때 일반적으로 사용되는 전통적인 육종 방법이다. 웅성불임 엘리트 토마토 계통을 육성하기 위해 마커 지원 foreground 및 background 선발은 여교잡 육종 과정에서 수행하였다. MABC(marker-assisted backcrossing)은 기존의 여교배와 비교할 때 반복친의 유전적 배경을 회복하는데 매우 유용하게 사용하고 있다. Foreground 선발을 위해서 육묘 단계에 녹색 배축을 보이는 안토시아닌 결손(aa) 토마토 변이체는 T2-517 계통 유래 InDel 마커를 사용하여 BC1F1 및 BC2F1 집단에서 선발하였다. 이들 특성은 웅성불임 ms1035 유전자와 2번 염색체상에 매우 밀접하게 연관되어 있으므로 MAS(marker-assisted selection)에 이용하였다. Background 선발을 위해서 MR10-3211과 T2-517 계통 간의 resequencing 데이터로부터 얻은 48개의 single nucleotide polymorphism(SNP) 마커는 토마토 게놈에 고르게 분포되도록 최종 선발하였다. 이형접합(Aa) 유전자형을 갖는 BC1F1 및 BC2F1 개체들은 48개의 SNP 마커 세트를 background 선발에 이용하였다. 다중 유전형 분석은 high-throughput genotyping system(EP1TM, Fluidigm®, USA)을 사용하여 수행되었다. 그 결과 BC1F1 세대에서 반복친 게놈과 87.5%가 유사한 1개의 식물체와 BC2F1 세대에서 반복친 게놈의 회복률이 95.5% 이상으로 보이는 3개의 식물체를 선발하였다. 선발된 개체들은 토마토 웅성불임 계통을 육성하기 BC2F2 및 BC2F3 세대로 고정하였다. 따라서 MABC 방법은 토마토 육종 프로그램에서 반복친 게놈을 회복시키기 위한 획기적인 방법으로 생각된다.
- Development of Male-Sterile Elite Lines using Marker-Assisted Backcrossing (MABC) in Tomato
- Floral Volatile Compound Accumulation and Gene Expression Analysis of Maxillaria tenuifolia
- Su Yeong Kim, Mummadireddy Ramya, Hye Ryun An, Pil Man Park, Su Young Lee, So-Young Park, and Pue Hee Park
- Floral volatiles play a key role in attracting pollinators, and floral scent is an important trait for many floricultural crops, including orchids ... + READ MORE
- Floral volatiles play a key role in attracting pollinators, and floral scent is an important trait for many floricultural crops, including orchids. Maxillaria tenuifolia belongs to the Orchidaceae family and has highly fragrant flowers. Due to the importance of plant biology, we needed to isolate the floral volatiles and corresponding genes in this plant. In this study, we investigated the floral volatile compounds and gene expression of M. tenuifolia at various flower developmental stages and in different floral organs using headspace–solid-phase microextraction–gas chromatography–mass spectrometry (HS-SPME-GC-MS) and quantitative real time PCR (qRT-PCR). The main compounds of M. tenuifolia were sesquiterpene, known as the scent of coconut, and the compounds β-caryophyllene, α-copaene, and δ-decalacton. The total amounts of volatile compounds in petal, sepal, lip, and column was 94.0%, 93.0%, 72.7%, and 90.0%, respectively. The compounds α-copaene, β- caryophyllene, and caryophylladienol II were identified in all parts. The total volatile compound amount at the bud stage (I) was 29.1%, at the initial flowering stage (II) was 81.0%, at the full flowering stage (III) was 93.7%, at the loss of pedicel color stage (IV) was 85.6%, and at the wilting flower stage (V) was 69.8%. Except for the bud stage (I), α-copaene and β-caryophyllene were identified in all stages. In the qRT-PCR analysis, most of the terpenoid genes were highly expressed at the full flowering stage in the sepal and petal. According to these results, we concluded that sesquiterpene is the major source for the floral scent profile in this plant. This study establishes a baseline for product development and provides information about using aromatics to promote orchid consumerism by identifying and analyzing volatile compounds and gene expression. - COLLAPSE
- Occurrence Pattern of Viral Infection on Pear in Korea and Genetic Characterization of Apple Scar Skin Viroid Isolates
- Nam-Yeon Kim, Hyo-Jeong Lee, Na-Kyeong Kim, Jonghee Oh, Su-Heon Lee, Hongsup Kim, Jae Sun Moon, and Rae-Dong Jeong
- Apple chlorotic leaf spot virus (ACLSV), apple stem pitting virus (ASPV), apple stem grooving virus (ASGV), and apple scar skin viroid (ASSVd ... + READ MORE
- Apple chlorotic leaf spot virus (ACLSV), apple stem pitting virus (ASPV), apple stem grooving virus (ASGV), and apple scar skin viroid (ASSVd) are economically important viruses infecting pear trees worldwide. A large-scale survey was carried out in five major pear producing area sof Korea in 2017 and 2018 to investigate the occurrence patterns of these viruses in pear leaves and fruit. The virus incidence rate was 13.8% for ACLSV, 31.7% for ASPV, 95.3% for ASGV, and 3.6% for ASSVd. Fruit samples were 2.8% for ACLSV, 28.4% for ASPV, 99.0% for ASGV, and 13.8% for ASSVd. The most common type of mixed infection was ASGV+ASPV (22%). Furthermore, the ASSVd genome was completely sequenced and showed 99% sequence identity at a nucleotide level to other isolates. - COLLAPSE
Cultivar and Germplasm Release
Breeding of Standard Rose Cultivar ‘White Beauty’ with White Color and High Productivity
절화 수량이 우수한 백색 스탠다드 장미 ‘White Beauty’ 육성
Ki Young Park, Bong Sik Yoo, O Hyun Kwon, Hae Jin Lee, and Hyun Hwan Jung
박기영, 유봉식, 권오현, 이혜진, 정현환
- Recently, as the premium market for large flowers has expanded more than that of medium-sized flowers, domestically produced medium-sized roses are disadvantageous ...
최근 절화장미 시장은 중형화보다 대형화 프리미엄 시장이 확대되면서 대형장미 주산국인 케냐, 에콰도르 등에서 재배되는 대형화 수입장미와의 경쟁에서 불리한 입장이다. 이에 국내 환경에 ...+ READ MORE
- Recently, as the premium market for large flowers has expanded more than that of medium-sized flowers, domestically produced medium-sized roses are disadvantageous in competition with imported large ones grown in major production countries such as Kenya and Ecuador. Therefore, we developed a cultivar suitable for the domestic environment that has large yields. A red standard rose cultivar ‘White Beauty’ was bred from the cross between the white standard cultivar ‘Marilyn Monroe’ and the pink standard cultivar ‘Peach Coat’ with large flowers and excellent stem length at the National Institute of Horticulture & Herbal Science. An individual was obtained from an artificial cross in 2014, and ‘White Beauty’ was finally selected and named in 2016 after investigating the characteristics from 2014 to 2016. ‘White Beauty’ is a standard flower with white color (RHS Color Chart White Group 3C) that grows vigorously, produces a big flower and has high productivity. The number of petals was 65.4, which was much bigger than that of ‘Green Star’ (41.4), and flower width (8.9 cm) was larger than ‘Green Star’ (8.3 cm). The annual amount of cut flowers per square meter was 112 stems, which was 17 more than ‘Green Star’. Vase life was 7.8 days shorter than ‘Green Star’, but consumers preferred ‘White Beauty’ over the control cultivar ‘Green Star’.
최근 절화장미 시장은 중형화보다 대형화 프리미엄 시장이 확대되면서 대형장미 주산국인 케냐, 에콰도르 등에서 재배되는 대형화 수입장미와의 경쟁에서 불리한 입장이다. 이에 국내 환경에 적합하며 수확량이 많으면서도 대형화인 품종을 개발하였다. 이에 2014년 화형이 크고 우수한 백색 스탠다드 ‘Marilyn Monroe’ 품종과 꽃이 크고 절화장이 우수한 핑크색 스탠다드 ‘Peach Coat’ 품종을 인공교배하여 2014년 1개체의 실생을 획득하여 2014 - 2016년까지 3차에 거쳐 특성검정을 실시한 후 최종 선발 된 ‘원교 D1-284’를 ‘White Beauty’로 명명하였다. ‘White Beauty’의 화색은 백색으로 RHS 칼라차트번호 3C이며 화형은 고심형으로 꽃잎 수는 65.4개로써 ‘Green Star’의 41.4개보다 월등히 많았으며, 화폭은 8.9cm로 ‘Green Star’ 8.3cm보다 크다. 평방미터당 연간 절화수량은 112본으로 ‘Green Star’보다 17본 정도 많았다. 절화수명은 7.8일로 ‘Green Star’보다 짧았으나 기호도 평가에서는 ‘Green Star’보다 우수한 경향을 나타냈다.
- Breeding of Standard Rose Cultivar ‘White Beauty’ with White Color and High Productivity